Mar 9, 2010

The extinction of black movies

What happened to movies like this???

Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I was watching some classic black love stories during the weekend (Love Jones, Premium, Love & Basketball to name a few) and it hit me: Why isn't Hollywood making these type of movies anymore?? Not only black love stories, but movies that don't portray us in stereotypical fashion. And before you answer ''What about Tyler Perry?'', his movies seem too repetitive for my liking. If I was to mention to this generation some great black movies, I'm sure a lot would tell me Baby Boy, Save the Last Dance or some other generic title. I may come off as a hater, but I'm just a brotha who knows that not all of us grew up in the hood and want to be ball players. Some of us have other aspirations, dreams we want to accomplish and don't need the eyes of a room focused on us when asked ''Does anybody know how to rap?". Crooklyn, Do the Right Thing, Get on the Bus, Malcolm X, The Inkwell, The Five Heartbeats, Sugar Hill. These are only some movies that I can think that really made me see that we, as a people, are so much more than the gold around our necks or the clothes that we wear. Some of us want to be artists, lawyers, doctors, politicians, US President even (good looking out Mr. Obama). Sidney Poitier, arguably the most important Afro-American actor in the history of Hollywood said the following:

''I never had an occasion to question color, therefore, I only saw myself as what I was... a human being.'' 

More than black people, these movies had values and life lessons that you could get from the big screen. You could actually relate to the main character and their struggle to become a rose surrounded by a concrete world. That's why I love the classics and can't really mess with the new stuff. They may have nice special effects and great performances but lack that spark that separate the great movies from the classics.

Shalom :)

2 comments:

  1. i love how u think lil ken. i could swear ur 35 yrs old! :)... u got that right the old do it best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what they say: the older the bear, the sweeter the juice.

    ReplyDelete