Jan 19, 2010

Community


It's now been a week since Haiti suffered a massive earthquake and I had a chance to look at how the world around me has responded. I have to say that I'm impressed. People have been very understanding and have offered to help in any way they can. I personally have been involved with B.R.I.H.N. and we're making "Aid for Haiti" bracelets. They've been selling like hotcakes and some have even offered to help make them! This shows that there are still some genuine people in this world that are willing to sacrifice either time, money or both for a greater cause. It's also been a time where churches are praying more than ever; kinda like when 9/11 happened. One thing has to be remembered though. We should move forward and not backwards. The money, volunteer hours, etc... is all great but it has to be kept up on a regular basis. Too many times, we live in the moment and as soon as things get better, we go back to normal. As Tonic (christian rapper) would say, "we go back to livin' in 9/10".

For me, this tragedy has turned into an eye opener. I'll be doing a lot more volunteer work for non-profit organization around Ottawa. It'll be a great way for me to get involved in my community and also introduce them to Christ.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Ghandi

Shalom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment