Jan 4, 2010

Success=?






Today I was at my local Chapters browsing the poetry section (I usually just sit and read for a few hours) when I noticed that they had a black studies section. I landed on Hill Harper's book ''Letters for a young brother: MANifest your destiny'' (recommended of course). For those who have no idea what the book is about, the book features advice and encouragement to young men, draws on Hill's own experiences growing up and features letters and email that he received and responded to. One thing that stood out for me was this quote about education:


''Use school. Don't let school use you.''


I myself attended college and wanted to become a law clerk. But I figured out quickly that it was not something that was going to make me happy so I dropped out. It may seem weird to say this, but we tend to put the importance on school and not the EDUCATION that we get out of it. Is school important? Absolutely! Is it for everyone? I don't think so. Everybody has a different learning style. While some take the standard path of going from high school to university and/or college, others will get the knowledge themselves. Most see success as being your salary. If you look at it through a biblical perspective, prophets were never the wealthiest of people. They travelled a lot sometimes not having a place to call home. Jesus himself stayed at other people's homes often. But nobody can tell me that they were not successful in their path chosen. Not everyone can be CEO or a high-priced lawyer; we need secretaries and nurses too. Whatever your dreams may be, get the necessary tools and make it happen. George Bernard Shaw said it best:


You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"


Shalom urrrbody :)

No comments:

Post a Comment